December 31, 2020

Ray Stevens: New Year's Eve 2020...

Well, now, we've officially made it to the part of the day where it begins to start feeling like New Year's Eve. I woke up early this morning and wrote a blog entry that I published at some point...I think it was around 7:30am. I was awake some of the day...saw some of the College Football Bowl games. I watched a majority of the Arizona Bowl...and I saw some of the early part of the Liberty Bowl and I watched some of the Armed Forces Bowl (it ended in a brawl between Tulsa and Mississippi State). Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Notre Dame will all appear in Bowl games on New Year's Day tomorrow. I'm definitely going to try and get some sleep tonight following the New Year's Eve ball drop into 2021 so I won't be tired and groggy tomorrow when those four teams take the field. I'm also going to try and catch the Cincinnati Bearcats bowl game...they take the field at Noon tomorrow in the Peach Bowl. The Citrus Bowl begins at 1pm tomorrow. The Rose Bowl and the Sugar Bowl are scheduled for tomorrow evening/night. Those two games plus a couple of others will be must-see television for me! In my earlier blog entry today I mentioned that I might return later or I may wait until New Year's Day to write another blog entry. I find myself here in the process of writing what is going to be my last blog entry of 2020 and I'm going to be embedding some New Year's Eve themed video clips from Ray Stevens. The first of these video clips were uploaded last year. We have Ray Stevens singing "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?" and then we'll see him and his band in another performance from the CabaRay Nashville television show deliver "Let's Have a Party".


"What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?" emerged in 1947 from the pen of a legendary songwriter named Frank Loesser. He had a lengthy string of hits in that time period...both as a songwriter of pop music and as an author of songs for a series of hit musicals. In addition to the song that Ray's singing in the above video clip Loesser was also responsible for "Baby, It's Cold Outside" and "I Don't Want to Walk Without You". When I researched this song I came across information from the writer's daughter that Frank Loesser was annoyed that the song became tied to New Year's Eve simply due to it's title. I guess from his point of view if a song is tied to a holiday then it's only going to be heard/talked about once a year. I'd known of the song for a number of years but didn't know a lot about it's creation until I decided to look up information about the song. When you watch the video clip you'll see the band and harmony singers in their party hats. These performances, as mentioned, come from the New Year's Eve episode of Ray's CabaRay Nashville television series. In contrast to the melancholy "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?" here's the upbeat "Let's Have a Party"...the camera pans around and shows the audience who are also decked out in New Year's Eve attire...


Now, following those two 2019 uploads, we have an upload that hit YouTube earlier today from the New Year's Eve episode of Ray's television series. In this video clip the focus is entirely on Ray's band as they perform their rendition of an instrumental called "Ram Bunk Shush"...


The members of Ray's CabaRay Nashville band are: Jerry Kimbrough (electric guitar), Tommy White (steel guitar), Mike Noble (acoustic guitar), Scott Weckerly (drums), Jon Hamrick (keyboard), Denis Solee (saxophone), and Jim Ferguson (bass). Those are the core musicians for the show. There are some episodes where Buddy Skipper sets in which gives the band two saxophone players. Jon Hamrick also plays the banjo if a song calls for it. Steve Gibson appeared as a band member and played electric guitar...a video clip of him performing "Sugarfoot Rag" on Ray's television show is on YouTube. It's nine minutes till midnight...I'm going to go and tune in to a New Year's Eve show and watch the ball drop and metaphorically crush the year 2020!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...