December 31, 2020

Ray Stevens and my New Year's Eve blog entry...

Well, just like Christmas Eve, the feel of it being New Year's Eve doesn't exactly start to kick in until later this evening. I recall in blog's past I'd post some of the humorous drinking songs that Ray Stevens has recorded in his career since New Year's Eve has long been tied to wild celebrations and drinking and I still may write another blog entry later today with some of those songs but I'm waiting to see what Ray is going to post on his social media pages. I don't know if he's going to post the video of him singing "Happy Hour" or if he'll post an audio of his rendition of "Little Brown Jug" or if he'll post footage from the New Year's Eve episode of his CabaRay Nashville television show. 

Ray posted several images and video uploads between by previous blog entry on Christmas Day and today. One of the posts was an image of an orange van dedicated to "The Streak". The van has the song title on it's window and the cartoon image of Ray from the 1992 music video and along the side it has the phrase 'boogity-boogity' written on it. If you frequent Ray's social media pages, as I do, you've seen the van by now. He posted images of it back on December 28th. He also uploaded video content from his television show celebrating the birthday of Steve Wariner (December 25th) and Suzy Bogguss (December 30th). Ray's 1987 halftime performance during the Liberty Bowl had been uploaded in it's entirety several years ago...but a clip from it of Ray singing "America the Beautiful" was uploaded on December 29th. The Liberty Bowl featuring Ray Stevens hosting the halftime show was played on December 29, 1987. This year's Liberty Bowl is going to air later today at 4pm. 

Earlier this morning I was editing photo's for future use on this blog...some of the images are of a 1990 compilation of Ray Stevens songs called Everything is Beautiful and Other Hits. The collection contains 8 recordings...the cassette copy features 5 songs on Side One and 3 songs on Side Two. The collection was reissued on CD in 1992. I didn't like the color used in the 1992 reissue...the 1990 cassette release had a dark green color but the 1992 CD had no color to it. The collection, as you can see, was issued on RCA in conjunction with one of their subsidiaries, BMG. The RCA lightning bolt logo used on the release was part of a nostalgic wave running through the record company at the time. I once had the cassette copy in my collection but I had to throw it away after the reel of tape got tangled up inside a tape player I was using...and if you're familiar with cassette tape slang this sort of thing was described as "the machine ate the tape". Fortunately I've only had that kind of experience a couple of times and only once with a Ray Stevens cassette. The blank cassette tapes that used to be sold for home recording were notorious for malfunctioning within months...but I think this maybe had more to do with the brand name of blank cassette tape I was buying. Although I mentioned that I didn't like the color of the CD cover I like the photo of Ray and the RCA lightning bolt graphic. When I got the cassette version in 1990 the photo of Ray was brand new to me...the pose of him seated in a casual manner...it had me thinking that the photo originated at some point in the early 1980s. I don't know when the photo originated...but since the collection is tied to RCA I've always thought that the photo originated in the early 1980s when Ray recorded for that label. 

Since I posted an image of the 1992 CD copy it's only natural that I post an image of the 1990 cassette. Now then...look at the cassette cover and then look up at the CD cover. I can't be the only person that prefers the graphics seen on the cassette when compared to the CD. The songs on this collection are: "The Streak", "Mr. Businessman", "Misty", "Gitarzan", "Freddie Feelgood", "Everything is Beautiful", "The Moonlight Special", and "Shriner's Convention". One of the peculiar things about the 1990 cassette is that the songs that Ray wrote/co-wrote are credited under his birthname rather than his professional name. I was a teenager in 1990 and had no idea that Ray's birthname happened to be Harold Ray Ragsdale...and so it was baffling to see the last name, Ragsdale, instead of Stevens. I actually thought the record label mistakenly put the wrong name in the songwriter credits. I didn't know much about Ray's lengthy career and I didn't know much personal information about him in those years. The only thing I knew about him were the songs featured in the small amount of his tapes that I had at the time. I didn't start finding out much in-depth information about his career until I joined his fan club in 1994 (the club closed down in 2002). In the fan club kit that was mailed to me there was an album discography among the various papers and newsletters. I looked over that album discography and was stunned to learn that he'd been releasing albums since 1962...and as I got older I began tracking down his vinyl albums since cassette copies were either not available or were no longer available. As a fan of Ray Stevens I was growing more and more interested in hearing what are called 'album tracks'. I'd salivate, not literally, but I'd salivate at the idea of one day getting my hands on the vinyl albums of Ray Stevens so I could hear the songs that weren't put on compilation albums. When I seen that there was a 1976 album from Ray called Just for the Record, for example, I couldn't wait to one day get that album so I could hear songs that had such titles as "Gimme a Smile" and "OM". I think, subconsciously, I wanted to get the 1976 album because that's the year I was born...but, of course, because it's Ray Stevens that's the other major reason I wanted to get my hands on the album!! 

I'd look at the titles of Ray Stevens songs and wonder how they sounded. There's a song on his Nashville album titled "Float". When I seen it as a song title I'd wonder what in the world the song could be about...but then I got the vinyl album and discovered "Float" is an instrumental. "Fish Eat Sleep" is another unusual song title on that 1973 album. The album also contains "Love Me Longer", from the pen of Layng Martine. Now, in the early 1990s and long before I began building my Ray Stevens vinyl collection, and before I discovered Ray's album discography, I'd seen an early 1980's episode of Hee Haw on The Nashville Network. On this episode Ray sang "Love Me Longer" and at that point in time I thought it was a song on one of his albums from the early '80s. However, once I seen the album discography and seen the song titles on each of his albums, I learned that "Love Me Longer" had originally been recorded by Ray in 1973. 

This blog entry has certainly went in directions I wasn't anticipating when I began writing it a little before 6am this morning!! It's nearing 7:30am...I'm sure I'll write another blog entry at some point later today. Happy early New Year's Eve!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...