February 21, 2011

Ray Stevens: Nostalgia Valley, Part 21...

A classic release in the career of Ray Stevens is this collection from 1987. Sales of the album are in the millions and it was certified Platinum as a result. This image is of the vinyl album...note the illustration of bullet holes across the album as an unnamed model and Ray pose as Bonnie and Clyde on a foggy night. The cassette version lacks this illustration. The albums that MCA released on Ray Stevens throughout the mid to late 1980's all featured creative, eye-catching album designs and this one was no different. The collection features 10 songs...almost all of them from the late '60s through the mid '70s...with the exception of just two recordings: 1984's "It's Me Again, Margaret" and "Mississippi Squirrel Revival". Those two 1984 hits have gone on to become classics in Ray's career...he still performs those two songs in concert...in addition to pretty much all of the songs featured here. The album's Platinum status clearly shows that, at the time, it was the best single collection of Ray Stevens signature songs available. The version of "Ahab the Arab" found on here is the 1969 re-recording on the Monument label...but even the inclusion of the re-recording instead of the 1962 original doesn't take away from this collection's enjoyable flow from one song to the next.

This particular collection will always be a sentimental favorite simply because it was one of the very first collections of Ray Stevens songs that I was exposed to in the late 1980's. In fact, the cassette copy that I have is the very same cassette that my grandparent's bought. They'd play this cassette a lot when I'd be with them during car trips...you might say these are some of the songs I grew up hearing from Ray Stevens years before I was able to start up my own collection.

1. The Streak; 1974
2. Shriner's Convention; 1979
3. It's Me Again, Margaret; 1984
4. Turn Your Radio On; 1971
5. Misty; 1975
6. Mississippi Squirrel Revival; 1984
7. Gitarzan; 1969
8. Ahab the Arab; 1969
9. Along Came Jones; 1969
10. Everything Is Beautiful; 1970

My grandparent's also owned a copy of He Thinks He's Ray Stevens, Surely You Joust, and Crackin' Up in addition to 1987's Greatest Hits. Whenever you see me bring up the fact that I was raised on Ray Stevens music, clearly, it's not an exaggeration! The very first Ray Stevens album (cassette) that I remember my grandparent's buying specifically for me, and not them, was 1990's Lend Me Your Ears. At the time Ray was promoting the music videos of "Sittin' Up with the Dead" and "Help Me Make It Through the Night". In one of his appearances on Nashville Now he premiered the music video of "Help Me Make It Through the Night" in which Ralph Emery played the part of the pistol shooting southern colonel before and after the music video was aired. I was 15 when Ray's Comedy Video Classics hit the TV airwaves...I loved seeing the commercials airing all over TV...and I got the collection for Christmas! The following Christmas, in 1993, I got the Ray Stevens Live! home video. You Tube has the very same commercials that used to run in 1992 and 1993 for those two home videos...

1992's Comedy Video Classics...


1993's Ray Stevens Live!...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...