August 17, 2014

Ray Stevens: A Variety of Music...

It's no surprise that I love the music of Ray Stevens!! During the time of this fan created blog's existence, if you've read closely, you'll know that I love, love, LOVE the late '70s/early '80s time period of his career a whole lot. I also love other era's of his career, too...but there's an unexplainable gravitation I have with his late '70s/early '80s recordings.

In times past I've attempted to find an explanation as to my fascination with that time period in his career but it's best to just enjoy the music and leave the psychology to Ray's comical alter ego, Sickmind Fraud.

1982's "Written Down in My Heart", a marvelous love ballad, is performed by Ray in this clip...



20 years earlier, in 1962, Ray's big single that year happened to be "Ahab the Arab". A clip of Ray singing the song, in 1965, has surfaced on YouTube once more. It's been uploaded by others in the past and this is the most recent upload...



Jumping a short 5 years later, in 1970, notice the change in stage clothing and the thicker hair. Ray Stevens hosted the summer replacement series for Andy Williams in 1970 and among the many songs Ray performed on the summer series is a pop hit that a lot of people, including myself, refer to as "My Baby Wrote Me a Letter". It's officially titled "The Letter", and it became a huge hit for The Box Tops in 1967. Joe Cocker did a version, too, and his recording was actually the current hit version heard during the summer of 1970, the time of this performance from Ray Stevens.

Now, of course, I'm not naive...so I don't expect blues, soul, or R&B purists to lovingly embrace the Ray Stevens performance of this song...but I happen to be a fan of Ray Stevens and I'm sure those that stop by here are, too, and we definitely embrace all of Ray's performances and this is another great one...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...