April 25, 2021

Ray Stevens audio clip: "Dream"...

Well, as mentioned in my previous blog entry, I'm back with another audio clip from the current Ray Stevens digital album, Slow Dance. This time around I'm spotlighting "Dream". When I was looking over my review of the digital album I noticed that I never even made mention of "Dream" at all. Instead of going in and editing my review I've decided to just compose a blog entry with an audio clip of the song. "Dream" goes back to 1944 and it's from the pen of Johnny Mercer. Research shows that the song was written as a theme song for a radio program starring the songwriter. It was a summer replacement program for Bob Hope's radio show. Frank Sinatra recorded the song as did a series of other pop artists of the time period (mid to late 1940s). A group called The Pied Pipers issued a recording of "Dream" in 1945. Frank Sinatra recorded it a second time in 1960. Ella Fitzgerald recorded a version in 1964 with a jazzy flavor underneath Nelson Riddle orchestrations. Numerous other crooner-style pop singers did renditions of the song...songwriter Johnny Mercer is synonymous with The Great American Songbook. Now, in April 2021, it's Ray Stevens turn with "Dream". I've only heard the renditions of "Dream" from Frank Sinatra and the recording by Ella Fitzgerald...I wanted to hear how their version of the song sounded. Ray's rendition benefits from modern technology and his arranging style...the kinds of instruments heard in his recording are vastly different from the Sinatra and Ella recordings and his has a more urgent vocalization compared to the more softer Frank Sinatra 1940's vocal delivery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...