April 18, 2021

Ray Stevens: WSMV-TV interview...

Hello all once again!! I came across an interview Ray Stevens gave back on April 15th with WSMV-TV and I'm going to share the link. I was able to get some small screen caps from the interview...the full-screen of the interview took away my ability to open up my snipping tool program and so I could only get a couple of thumbnail size images of Ray inside his recording studio at the CabaRay showroom. The interview comes from a series called Today In Nashville. It was a zoom-style interview...the host was inside her home while Ray was in his recording studio. Ray speaks about all of the digital albums he's in the middle of releasing and explains that in June there will be a Volume One box set with the first four digital albums in CD format. The over-arching project is called Iconic Songs of the 20th Century. There will be four more albums released later this year or perhaps early next year and a Volume Two box set to go along with Volume One. So, altogether, there will be 8 albums...each one featuring 12 songs. I, for one, can't wait to hear all of this upcoming Ray Stevens music. This coming Friday will be the release of digital album three, Slow Dance. To watch the interview you can click the WSMV link HERE. The interviewer is a woman named Carole Sullivan. There are various clips on YouTube of the Today in Nashville feature but, as of this writing, the Ray Stevens interview isn't on YouTube yet so that link I provided is to the WSMV webpage. 

Earlier today I was listening to a radio program hosted by Terri Clark called Country Gold. The program is 4 hours in length but at various moments throughout the show she played snippets of an interview with Ray Stevens. I knew of this radio program from years earlier...but it was hosted by somebody else. I came upon this Terri Clark version by way of a link posted on Ray's Facebook page. Terri is a country music singer originating from Canada and not being a follower of her music career, I know who she is, but not being a follower I didn't know she's been the host of this syndicated country music radio program for several years. Usually the special guests on this show are spoken to several times for roughly half a minute throughout the course of the 4 hour radio show. There's a feature called Country Gold Backstage which features the full interviews Terri has with the special guests...what's heard on the syndicated radio show are snippets.

Terri played Ray's bluegrass version of "Oh, Pretty Woman" on the show, from Melancholy Fescue, while some of his comments led into songs by other artists. Terri asked him about Waylon Jennings and he told her about singing harmony on "Only Daddy That'll Walk the Line", for example, followed by the playing of Waylon's recording. I was listening to the show through a Listen Live feature on a radio station in Kentucky. The 4 hour show airs at various times throughout the weekend and so I'm assuming a podcast will emerge sometime this week once this weekend's show has aired on all of it's affiliates. I'll keep checking Terri's webpage and see if a podcast becomes available. It may only be available for subscribers only. If it becomes available I'll embed the link in a future blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...