May 22, 2021

Ray Stevens: Nouveau Retro on Amazon's Top-100

Hello once again to the fans of Ray Stevens! Ray's current Nouveau Retro digital album debuted on the Amazon Best Selling New Releases Top-100 yesterday. When I checked the list it was ranked within the Top-30. The positions change every hour. Ray's previous three digital albums made appearances on this list and I made note of it and so now I'm making note of his current digital album appearing there. I've been jotting down a series of opinions and thoughts on little sheets of notebook paper that I'll soon turn into a review of Nouveau Retro. I made note of several things when I first listened to the digital album and I'll be making some more notes when I listen several more times and then I'll write my review. Some of the songs that are highlights include "Mountain of Love", "April in Paris", "Blue Moon", "Lay Me Down, Roll Me Out To Sea", and the album closer, "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows / Over the Rainbow". It'll be right around this time next month that Ray will issue all four digital albums in CD format in a box set called Iconic Songs of the 20th Century. Yes, as I've often remarked, I'll be purchasing the CD box set next month because that's just how I am. If there's CD availability of a Ray Stevens digital album I order it for my personal collection. Since this will be a box set I'm assuming it'll come with some sort of a booklet or liner notes. Ray released a statement about Nouveau Retro and I'm going to paste it here. I said I'd be pasting his other statements about the previous three digital albums in a future blog entry and at some point I will...but for now I'm copying/pasting Ray's statement about his current release...

"Nouveau Retro is just my way of saying...Let's take a new look at some old standards. I guess it is a bit of a habit of mine to hear some piece of music or recording I really like and after listening a few times, begin to think of how it might be done a little differently. I just can't seem to help myself, if I were a painter I would probably want to add a little something to the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel at some point. One of the characteristics of really great music is that it can stand the test of interpretation or re-interpretation. A great song continues to be 'great' even when it's presented in a completely different way and this selection is definitely in the that category. When we hear a song and we like it we consider it our own. We hear people say 'They're playing our song' or 'My song.' That's because some songs become personal and we don't want people messing with them...but then...there are adventurous, curious, experimental souls like me...and hopefully you. So lay aside all previous opinions and be open to receive a little something different and behold....Nouveau Retro (What’s Old is New Again)!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...