May 21, 2021

Ray Stevens audio clip: "Mountain of Love"...

Well, hello to all of you fans of Ray Stevens!! It's release day for Nouveau Retro and I purchased it about an hour ago and have listened to it already. It's great...a good selection of songs that Ray decided to bring back. You can purchase your copy of the digital album by clicking HERE. I like all the songs...one of the stand-out tracks, in my opinion, is his rendition of "Mountain of Love". Ray's rendition kicks off with what I call a mid '60s flavor...well, when I heard it I thought of that time period in pop/rock music. The song was made popular, the first time around, by Johnny Rivers. His rendition is great and has harmonica solo's. I grew up hearing the country music version from Charley Pride. Ray's rendition is up-tempo throughout and it's a bouncy up-tempo performance. If you're familiar with Johnny Rivers or Charley Pride's version you'll immediately notice the lack of female harmony singers chiming in "oh, yeah!" at various moments in the song. This lack of harmony singers is something that caught me off guard...especially since Ray's known for having female harmony singers adding a lot of accompaniment to his recordings yet for this song he decided to not utilize them. I'll be writing a review of the digital album at some point later today or over the weekend after I listen to the album several more times but I just had to share this song right away because it jumps right out at you. When it comes to "Mountain of Love" Ray, obviously, didn't want to make a carbon copy of the Johnny Rivers or Charley Pride renditions and so he recorded it this way...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...