May 1, 2021

Ray Stevens: "A Mama and a Papa" at 50...

It's me once again! I thought I'd make a note of a particular single from Ray Stevens marking it's golden anniversary, 50 years. On May 1, 1971 "A Mama and a Papa" was released by Ray Stevens on Barnaby Records. The single would ultimately appear on the album, Turn Your Radio On, in 1972. "A Mama and a Papa" comes from the pen of Tom Autry and it's B-side is the passionate love ballad, "Melt", which Ray Stevens wrote. I don't pay much attention to the days or months that Ray releases albums or singles...I only make note of the year...but when I was reading one of the various pages I follow on Facebook there was a post that drew attention to May 1, 1971 being the day "A Mama and a Papa" was released. The single would reach the Hot 100 pop chart but it's biggest impact came in the Easy-Listening music format. The single reached the Top-10 of that format in the summer of 1971. The image in the video clip below is from the overseas release of the song. Barnaby Records was under the distribution of CBS Records when this single from Ray Stevens was released. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...