November 4, 2021

Ray Stevens audio track: "My Better Half"...

Hello Ray Stevens fans!! It's been awhile since I've spotlighted an audio track from Ray's current comedy album, Ain't Nothin' Funny Anymore. Today I'm spotlighting a comical love song...something of which Ray has recorded plenty of over the decades. "My Better Half", from the pen of Bobby Braddock, is a clever twist on the heartache/heartbreak type of country song...clever in that the lyrics reflect the focal point of the song. Ray plays the role of a man separated from his love interest. It's never revealed if he's singing about a wife or a girlfriend. He declares that she's his better half...but because she's his better half everything in his life is singular and it's reflective in the comical lyrics. 

It's a song you'd have to hear to understand or to even appreciate the cleverness. I'm embedding the audio track of "My Better Half" in this blog entry. There are only three musicians, total, on this recording. Buddy Skipper is the tenor saxophonist. Jerry Kimbrough plays electric and acoustic guitars. Ray is credited with playing the drums, bass, electric keyboard, trombone, and harp. He's also singing the harmony vocals. I'm making the assumption that the drum, bass, and harp instrumentation comes from one of Ray's synthesizers. I can't picture him bringing in a full sized harp for just one recording.


If you have the CD copy of the new album there's a photo of Ray in the fold out showing him with a broom, a different large tie than what appears on the album cover, but retaining the Emmett Kelly 'Weary Willie' sad clown look. Ray was dressed nearly identical to Emmett Kelly's clown in the music video for "Shriner's Convention" in 1995, by the way. I know you're going to love "My Better Half"!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...