April 27, 2020

Ray Stevens: A Digital Album from the United Kingdom...

I don't typically create blog entries based on whatever digital download that comes along featuring Ray Stevens recordings...the reason I don't is because of the overlapping it creates. However, I was performing images searches of Ray Stevens and I came across a very familiar publicity photo of Ray from the mid 1980s. The thumbnail image also had The Best of Ray Stevens written below it and so I opened the site and discovered that a United Kingdom company has issued a 20 song digital album (Mp3). The collection contains randomly chosen recordings of Ray from the late '50s through the early '60s. A previous United Kingdom release from 2014 titled Ahab, Jeremiah, Sgt. Preston and More: The Early Ray Stevens on the Jasmine label covers a lot of the recordings that you'll find on The Best of Ray Stevens. So, then, why am I creating a blog entry for this latest compilation release? I'm doing so because the very last song in the collection, to my knowledge, has never appeared on any previous compilation on Ray Stevens.

"When You Wish Upon a Star" can be heard on YouTube...an official audio clip of the song was uploaded on Ray's social media sites a couple of months ago and the audio had been available prior to that, as well, through an upload by a YouTube user in 2014. In spite of that exposure this 2020 United Kingdom compilation, The Best of Ray Stevens, holds the distinction (as far as I know) as the first compilation on Ray Stevens to include 1961's "When You Wish Upon a Star". The recording originally appeared as the B-side of a novelty titled "Scratch My Back". Whereas "Scratch My Back" and it's predecessor, "Jeremiah Peabody", would go on to appear on Ray's debut album in 1962 (titled 1,837 Seconds of Humor) there wasn't a trace of "When You Wish Upon a Star" to be found. Since 1961 the recording remained out of circulation and to my knowledge wasn't featured on any of the countless compilation albums to surface on Ray Stevens throughout the '70s, '80s, '90s, or the last two decades until now.

I know nothing about this site but I'm sharing a link to it because of it containing Ray Stevens recordings for sale. Here is the LINK. I don't know if you have to become a member of their website in order to purchase music but I'm leaving it up to you all to decide to purchase the songs or not if you don't already have them in your collection as I do. The statistical data shows that the digital download was released on April 22, 2020 by a label called Vintage Jukebox. The site has other Ray Stevens products for sale, too, but I hadn't did a music search yet. It's a United Kingdom web store and so it deals in European pricing and so, obviously, you'll need to use a conversion table and see what 7 pounds, 99 pence is in American dollars. After I post this blog entry I'll explore that web store more thoroughly and in some future blog entry I'll remark on what I found.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...