August 8, 2020

Ray Stevens asks "Where Do My Socks Go?"...

Hello all fans of Ray Stevens!! Well, it's been a week since my previous blog entry...hard to believe but I hadn't posted a new blog entry since August 1st. I've not been off-line. I decided to take one of my self-imposed hiatuses from the blog site...but I've remained active on Ray's social media pages so it's not like I've had any kind of hiatus from all things Ray Stevens. In fact this blog entry is spotlighting the audio clip of a 1990 recording, "Where Do My Socks Go?", from the comedy album Lend Me Your Ears.



1990 not only marked a new decade but it also marked a change in record labels for Ray. He'd spent five years with MCA (1984-1989) and in 1990 he signed a recording contract with Curb/Capitol Records. "Where Do My Socks Go?" features some funky music accompaniment and his debut album for the label is an overall departure from the sound of his MCA recordings. His recordings seemed to have a more electronic/computer driven quality on the 1990 album. I've never been able to describe it in words but to my ears there's a definite change in production technique from the 1989 to the 1990 album and beyond.

Ray Stevens; 1991
In my hiatus from blogging I also came across a YouTube upload of Hee Haw from 1991. Some may ask: "okay?". Well this video clip, as of this writing, is erroneously credited as 1989 and there's no tag indicating the clip features Ray Stevens. In fact, I came across the video by accident. I was watching Hee Haw video clips at random the other day on a YouTube channel called Hee Haw 50th Anniversary. As soon as I started watching the video embedded below I knew it was a 1991 episode because Roy Clark wasn't joined by a guest co-host and the show still had it's haybale and cornfield set. The program removed the haybales and cornfield for the episodes that aired during the 1991-1992 season. Roy was the main host of the show for the 1990-1991 and 1991-1992 seasons. I also knew the episode was from 1991 because Ray's singing songs from his 1990 Lend Me Your Ears album. He sings "Where Do My Socks Go?" and "Barbeque". The video is a full-length episode. The uploader also included commercials. The other guest stars on this January 1991 episode are The Forrester Sisters. This happened to be Ray's final appearance on Hee Haw. As mentioned the show went through a major overhaul at the end of the 1990-1991 season. The producers removed the rustic, rural look and took out the haybales, cornfield, straw hats, and moonshine jugs and when the show returned for the 1991-1992 season (three months late) in January 1992 it had an urban setting and was retitled The Hee Haw Show. The only cast member that retained their traditional look was Grandpa Jones...everyone else wore casual clothes. Anyway, enjoy this January 1991 episode of Hee Haw guest starring Ray Stevens...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...