August 14, 2020

Ray Stevens: "Dance Tonight" with Jeannie Seely...

Well, here I am again...blogging about the multi-talented Ray Stevens!! If you're keeping track of all things Ray Stevens then you should be aware that Jeannie Seely's new album, An American Classic, was released today and it contains a duet with Ray. It became available at midnight on many on-line retail stores. I purchased a copy of her duet with Ray Stevens, "Dance Tonight". Her album is on Curb Records and the producer is Don Cusic (a name that should be familiar to Ray Stevens fans).

I've long since heard their duet...I purchased my copy of their recording around 2am this morning! I decided not to write a review until later in the day so as to not get ahead of any publicity that might surface surrounding the CD's release. Yes...for those that are aware...you can purchase a physical copy of the CD through Amazon but I opted to purchase an Mp3 of Jeannie's duet with Ray. I had written about Ray's upcoming duet in early July and then I wrote a follow-up blog entry earlier this month. Once I mentioned the name of their duet, "Dance Tonight", I was contacted by several on-line friends of mine informing me that the song had previously been recorded by Paul McCartney and it had apparently been well known for many years but I don't closely follow the careers of a wide array of recording artists. I have general knowledge of a wide array of recording artists and I like listening to a lot of them but I'd only consider myself a completely devoted fan of Ray Stevens...which should come as no surprise.

Now then...after purchasing "Dance Tonight" I listened to it and at first I thought it was going to be a sing-a-long the all way through because the song begins with Ray, Jeannie, and a choir of background harmony singers singing the chorus of the song. However that wasn't the case. Jeannie sings a solo in her trademark smoky voice and Ray chimes in on a verse but the focal point in the recording is the music itself rather than the lyrics. The party atmosphere of the song is hammered home thanks in large part to the background vocals...usually the atmosphere is created through the melody itself...but in this case the atmosphere sounds alive. The original by Paul McCartney, which I hadn't heard until this morning, obviously carries the same melody but the production is different. In his rendition he does a whistling solo and the production, by comparison, is minimal to the duet. In Ray and Jeannie's duet there isn't a whistle solo and there's a lot of production to it. The prominent instrument in this duet is the fiddle. Once I was informed that Paul McCartney had recorded the song originally I kept myself from listening to his recording...I wanted to be surprised when I purchased Ray and Jeannie's duet version this morning.

You can purchase your copy of "Dance Tonight" by clicking this LINK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...