August 17, 2020

Ray Stevens audio clip: "Saturday Night at the Movies"...

It's me once more!! A couple of days ago (Saturday) the Ray Stevens social media sites uploaded one of his early novelty songs from 1962, "Saturday Night at the Movies". The song is very funny and it's from his debut album for Mercury titled 1,837 Seconds of Humor. If you're familiar with my fan created Ray Stevens blog entries then you'll know that 1962 vinyl album remains the only studio vinyl album from Ray that I don't personally own. I have it on a CD paired with 1963's This is Ray Stevens from an overseas label, Liberty Bell. I've posted images of the CD before...but in case you hadn't seen it yet this is what the obscure, rare overseas import CD looks like. They added an additional track not found on either album: "Santa Claus is Watching You". Mercury issued the song as a single-only in 1962. Ray re-wrote this song almost entirely in 1985 and re-recorded it while at MCA...and it was made into a music video (his first ever). The cover of the CD has the catchphrase 'As Seen on TV' printed on it...although I'd never seen it advertised on television. I found this CD in a used book store at a shopping mall. The store had a rack full of CDs that I suspect were previously owned. This one still had it's plastic wrapper sealed around it. I would've purchased it used but given it was still sealed in plastic gave me some confidence that it would be in crisp condition and it was!

Me and Ray's first two albums on one CD
Yes, I keep saying, one of these days I'll track down a vinyl copy of his debut Mercury album...one of these days!! Until then here's the audio clip of "Saturday Night at the Movies"...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...