August 26, 2020

Ray Stevens: Rare Cassette Single...

I was looking on eBay earlier today and I came across a rare cassette single released on Ray Stevens. When I first seen the image listed on the product page I thought it was a VHS tape. My guess is the seller enlarged the photo. Anyway, it's a cassette single of "I Saw Elvis in a U.F.O." backed with "I Used To Be Crazy". I have a couple of cassette singles from other recording artists...the cassette tape slips into the cardboard carrying case. The item is still a current offer. There aren't any bids on it...as of this writing the seller is asking twelve dollars if you 'Buy It Now'. I saved the front and back of the image because it's such a rare item...

Ray Stevens cassette single; 1989.
That's the art work on the front of the single. In the background there's an illustration of a flying saucer with music notes emanating from it. The song comes from Ray's 1989 album, Beside Myself, and it's from the pen of Ray and Buddy Kalb. The B-side also comes from the pen of Ray and Buddy Kalb.



The back of the cassette single, as you can see, features the two songs included and promotes the album both songs come from. This is the only time I've ever seen a Ray Stevens cassette single. I posted about this on a couple of social media sites and asked if other Ray Stevens cassette singles exist or if this was simply a one time thing. I'm not going to feature a link to the eBay product page but if you're wanting even more information go to eBay and search for Ray Stevens + cassette tapes and it'll be in the search results. When did cassette singles emerge? I know that record companies were issuing vinyl singles, albeit in limited quantity, into the early 1990s. I have several vinyl singles that were issued during the first several years of the '90s. Some of those early '90s vinyl singles were designated as promo-only, some meant for jukeboxes, and some were shipped to whatever radio stations in the early '90s still incorporated a turntable into their shows. I type that and then it hits me that FM radio disc jockeys hadn't been able to "have a show" for many years. Radio stations have become computer controlled...with a live person there to deliver local promo's for area businesses or do a vague news report at the top of the hour...but the music itself is pre-programmed well in advance but then again so is the voice-overs by the "disc jockey". Voice tracking is what they call it when radio stations have their on-air personalities tape intro's and deliver chatter/small talk in advance and it's added into a broadcast to create the audio illusion someone's sitting in a studio playing music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...