November 8, 2020

Ray Stevens: Lulu sings on the 1970 Ray Stevens Summer Show...

Hello all once more!!! This is one of the longer gaps of time that I've spent away from the blog page and a lot of it has to do with the nearly week long election cycle. I was gripped with the drama just like everyone else wondering what the conclusion would be...we still don't officially know...we know who the media has picked as the winner but I'm holding out all options for the current President to, if not win, at least find out if any fraudulent activity took place.

In this blog entry I'm going to embed a video clip from the 1970 summer show Ray Stevens hosted for Andy Williams. One of Ray's regular cast members was Lulu, a Scottish born singer, whose multi-talented as a singer, actress, businesswoman, and television personality. I don't follow her career in-depth enough to know if she's a multi-instrumentalist, producer, arranger, and a songwriter, too. If so she'd be something like a female Ray Stevens. If you're familiar with the James Bond movies which I am...my brother has almost every James Bond movie from the first one with Sean Connery through 'Tomorrow Never Dies' with Pierce Brosnan, I think? He may have the rest of the series of films that Pierce starred in. It's been awhile since I seen his James Bond collection. 

But anyway, those familiar with those movies may remember Lulu as the singer of the theme song to The Man with the Golden Gun. She was also the singer of the theme song for To Sir, With Love years earlier in 1967. She had a number of hit songs on the United Kingdom music charts dating back to 1964 prior to her theme song rendition of "To Sir, With Love". That single enabled her to have an international fan base and for several years she routinely hit in the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, and Australia with a succession of recordings. In 1969 her recording of a song titled "Boom Bang-a-Bang" was named the winner of the Eurovision Song Contest. That single nearly eclipsed the popularity of her 1967 single, "To Sir, With Love". The follow-up to "Boom Bang-a-Bang" arrived early in 1970...titled "Oh Me Oh My I'm a Fool for You Baby". 

Lulu recently celebrated a birthday...born on November 3rd. So, now that I've explained to some of you who Lulu happens to be, in case you didn't know, here now is Lulu from 1970...she appears in a brief comical sketch with Ray, first, and then sings "Oh Me Oh My"...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...