August 5, 2021

Ray Stevens: "Gas" at 10.3K...

It wasn't too long ago that I'd written a blog entry spotlighting the Ray Stevens novelty, "Gas", and how it continues to gather unique plays on YouTube organically. The single debuted on YouTube on June 4th and here we are two months later and "Gas" is nearing 10,300 unique plays. In fact, as of this writing, "Gas" is sitting at 10,298...and I'm hoping that by the time I'm finished writing this blog entry that at least two people somewhere out there will have clicked the audio track to bring the YouTube play count to 10,300. You may be asking yourselves how can I compose this blog entry before "Gas" pushes past 10,300?? Why am I saying that it's at 10.3K?? Think of this particular blog entry being like the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) and how they certify Gold or Platinum. Often times the RIAA will certify an album Gold if it's close to 500,000 copies sold...the same holds true for Platinum at 1,000,000 in sales. If an album is near Gold sales status then a record company will request an RIAA certification. Since "Gas" is nearing 10,300 I'm going to make the safe assumption that it won't be long until it crosses that unique play total and so I'm officially declaring that the "Gas" audio track has 10,300 unique plays. As I've said in other blog entries I've been keeping periodic update on the YouTube numbers for this audio track. When I wrote about "Gas" getting 10.2K in a previous blog entry the unique plays were 10,216 at that time. The numbers, actually, rose steady on August 2nd which was the day "Gas" obtained 10.2K (10,213). Later on the number jumped to 10,233 and earlier today "Gas" had 10,283 unique plays...now it's knocking on the door of 10,300 with 10,298! 

***WISH COMES TRUE!!!***

Well, let me say that "Gas" has indeed reached 10,300 YouTube plays!! It's sitting at exactly 10,300 as I type this. I've made a screen cap and am including it below...


If you'll notice the two release dates. "Gas" was uploaded onto YouTube by Curb Records near midnight on June 3rd before the digital download became available for purchase on June 4th. Now, of course, after having written a lot about "Gas" you know I'll be closing the blog entry with the audio track...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...