August 6, 2021

Ray Stevens: "Iconic Songs of the 20th Century" among Amazon Top-40...

I just returned from the Amazon website and I got a double surprise while I was over there!! I was looking at the Top-100 New Releases rankings among country music in the CD's and Vinyl department. Earlier today Iconic Songs of the 20th Century was ranked at 53. As of this writing the 4-CD box set is among the Top-40 New Releases on Amazon...as you can see in the image off to the left the box set is sitting at 38! This is a new peak position on this list...the collection had previously reached a peak of 48. Now, if that wasn't a fun surprise to see, I decided to go over and look on the Soundtracks list. I earlier reported that Amazon is placing this 4-CD box set in the Soundtracks category, too, due in part because of the album's secondary title which is called: The Soundtrack of Our Lives. The ironic thing is, over on the CD's and Vinyl department on Amazon, in the Soundtracks category, Iconic Songs of the 20th Century is ranked at number 30 among New Releases!! The phrase 'soundtrack of our lives', as you could imagine, has very little to do with movie or television show music. When one uses the 'soundtrack of our lives' phrase it's meant to be a general representation of songs that define periods of time or some place in history for either an individual or a collective society. The box set of 4 compact discs features 12 songs per disc...a total of 48 recordings...and they collectively represent the soundtrack of society's lives. 

As you can see in the image over on the right Iconic Songs of the 20th Century sits at number 30 on Amazon in the CD and Vinyl Soundtracks department. In a previous blog entry I asked if any of you had purchased your box set yet. I take it that most of you have purchased your copy of the box set by now...with the 4-CD box set sitting among the Top-40 New Releases on Amazon it's clear that people are purchasing the box set through Amazon. Some people purchased it through Ray's own webpage...which is what I did. I wrote a review of the box set over on Amazon and posted photos of it...but because I didn't purchase it there it lacks the 'verified purchase' banner. I'll more than likely copy and paste my review over to Ray's website. My review of the box set lacks a lot of detail about the four compact discs because I've already written individual reviews of the four albums. I wanted my review of the 4-CD box set to focus just on the aesthetics and the technical information lacking on the digital albums but which is available on the CD copies. One of the songs Ray recorded, and one I'm going to heavily promote in future blog entries, is a fun little song called "Sophisticated Lady" on the Melancholy Fescue album. I've highlighted the audio track before but I think it deserves a whole lot more attention...the music accompaniment is impeccable as is Ray's vocal performance. The song has one of the most unusual melodies to sing against but that's why it's neat to listen to...so be on the lookout for future blog entries from me spotlighting the "Sophisticated Lady" audio track. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...