August 8, 2021

Ray Stevens: Musicians on "Sophisticated Lady"...

Several blog entries ago I spotlighted the various musicians that participated in the four digital albums that Ray Stevens released this year. As you probably know I didn't know the names of the musicians until I was able to get CD copies of those digital albums. I shouldn't say it like that, though...the musician credits aren't an automatic thing when it comes to CD's. I've got numerous compact discs without any musician credits whatsoever so I was grateful to see musician credits accompany the 4-CD Iconic Songs of the 20th Century. The thing I'm doing with this blog entry is focus on the musician credits for "Sophisticated Lady", one of the songs found on Melancholy Fescue. If you have the digital album or if you have the 4-CD box set "Sophisticated Lady" is track 8 on Melancholy Fescue. If you like to keep your compact disc releases in chronological order, as I often do, Melancholy Fescue will be compact disc two in the 4-CD box set...preceded by February's Great Country Ballads and followed by April's Slow Dance and May's Nouveau Retro

Ray Stevens did the string arrangements on this recording. The overall project featured string arrangements from both Ray as well as Bergen White. As far as string arranging Ray is credited on 17 of the 48 recordings found on the four albums. Bergen White did the string arrangements on the other recordings. Melancholy Fescue and Nouveau Retro feature the heaviest amount of string arrangements from Ray. As far as studio musicians go on Melancholy Fescue Ray played piano, keyboards, conga drums, harp, bass, flute, and tympani. On "Sophisticated Lady", specifically, the rest of the musicians were: Ned Luberecki (Banjo); Glen Duncan (Fiddle); Jerry Kimbrough (Guitars); and Rob Ickes (Resophonic Guitar). 


When you listen to the song you're going to hear a word right out of the 1930s...the music was written by Duke Ellington in 1932...released as an instrumental in 1933...and eventually lyrics were added to the song by Mitchell Parish/Irving Mills as I wrote about in a previous blog entry. The word that you'll hear is nigh. The word means near or something that's soon to happen. I've never used that word before but I understood what it meant in the context of the song and I'm sure a lot of you can figure out what the word means when listening to the song but I thought I'd explain what the word means, anyway. 

A lot of the songs on the four albums feature phrases and words that help show the time period upon which they originated. I think it's artistically important for recording artists to keep lyrics intact on cover albums, such as the four Ray released, because it helps illustrate a song's time period. Some artists implement minor changes in lyrics of pop standards and country music classics so that it doesn't cause confusion for contemporary listeners who aren't familiar with older terminology and phrases. Unless I didn't notice there aren't any lyrical changes on any of the songs Ray recorded for the four albums released. If you discover any lyrical changes I'd like to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...