June 17, 2021

Ray Stevens audio: "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow"...

Hello Ray Stevens fans!! It's become something of an annual thing in the social media age for Ray to spotlight the birthday of Barry Manilow...specifically due to the fact that Ray recorded a novelty song about Barry in 1979 called "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow", from the pen of Dale Gonyea. Some consider it a satiric recording...some call it a parody...no matter the description it's a funny song regardless. Ray recorded the song during his final months at Warner Brothers in 1979 and therefore it's the final single the record company released on him. The label did a lot more promotion for this particular release than the singles Ray recorded for them throughout all of 1978 and 1977. In fact, "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow" and the chicken clucking "In the Mood" from late 1976 appear on numerous Ray Stevens compilation albums and those two recordings always represent his Warner Brothers era. The single releases in between those two novelty recordings rarely, if ever, receive notice outside Ray's devoted fan base. The audio track of "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow" can be heard below. The cover art of the single release spoofs the album cover of Barry Manilow's second album just in case you're wondering where the inspiration for the cover art came from. Contrary to what some may think...this novelty song peaked near the Top-10 on Billboard's Adult-Contemporary chart...indicating that the very radio format that Barry dominated since the mid '70s was tolerant enough to have a laugh at their format's biggest star. On Billboard's Hot 100 it peaked in the Top-50...marking the final time a Ray Stevens single appeared on the Hot 100 pop chart. 


As far as I know Ray performed "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow" on television only once...on a 1979 country music television special hosted by Jerry Reed. He may have performed it on Pop! Goes the Country as well as That Nashville Music...but I don't have any detailed episode lists to confirm my assumptions. I wish there were a database listing all of the television appearances of Ray Stevens from his first to his most recent. If such a database existed we could visit it, look up a television show in a search bar, and instantly get results detailing the date, year, and what songs Ray performed during his guest appearance. Way back in 2008 when I was in the beginning stages of this blog I actually had a zeal and began a quest to notate all of Ray's television appearances but it got to be such a daunting, unfulfilling task that I abandoned the project and never posted a blog featuring a truly detailed list of television guest appearances. It was daunting in that there were too many, first of all, and unfulfilling because the television appearances I came across in my research didn't have any information as to what he sang. I know Ray headlined a Showtime television special...he shared the special with Crystal Gayle in 1979...and yet to this day I have not found out any detailed information about it. 

😲 I got a little bit sidetracked, yes? Anytime the conversation is about Ray's years at Warner Brothers it automatically causes me to express my feelings surrounding the lack of attention that those great records receive and the lack of archival media footage online from that time period in Ray's career. One day I hope his studio albums for Warner Brothers get proper reissue. Yes, I've been saying that since 2008 when this blog was created...and I've been saying it for more than 10 years before I created this blog and I'll always say it. In the meantime the 1979 television performance of "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow" is featured below...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. I heard that Barry wrote an answer to this song. Is there a data base on songs and their answer songs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if such a database exists. I'm sure there are websites from people that, on their own, list songs and their answer songs. As far as Barry Manilow having written an answer song to this...if he did I hadn't heard it. I have almost all of Barry's albums from his first to some of his later releases and I haven't heard anything from him as an answer to the song Ray recorded in 1979.

      Delete

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...