June 2, 2021

Ray Stevens: The novelty of "Gas"...

I can probably guess what you're thinking...the "Gas" single hasn't even been released yet (release date June 4th) and here I am composing a second blog entry about a song that we've only heard 42 seconds of so far. Well, if you're familiar with this blog, then you're well aware of my excitement whenever I get wind of a new song or recording project from Ray Stevens. Yes, I used the phrase 'get wind' on purpose. Anyway, it looks as if there's not going to be much pre-release publicity for the single beyond the audio clip that was posted yesterday on Ray's social media. My guess is all of the official publicity will happen this Friday when the single is released. It's a digital single...the photo off to the left is merely a promo for the online publicity. In my previous blog entry I remarked that I wasn't sure which record label this would be released on. Ray is signed to Curb Records but he still maintains his own record labels such as CabaRay Entertainment, Clyde Records, Player Records and so I wasn't sure if this was going to be on Curb Records or not. My reasoning for that uncertainty is because this comedy song emerged out of the blue and as mentioned in my previous blog entry he's in the middle of a covers project...music far removed from novelty/comedy as one can get...and so I originally thought that perhaps this novelty song is something he'd be issuing on his own record label whereas Curb Records would remain focused on the four digital albums and the upcoming box set collection. I found out that Curb Records is releasing "Gas" as well as the upcoming comedy album later this year, Ain't Nothin' Funny Anymore. In hindsight I wonder why I'd assume that Curb Records wouldn't be the record label releasing the music since that's who he's signed to...but not only that I learned that Ray has future projects that will be issued by Curb Records beyond the fall comedy album. The hard part, for this particular fan, is the waiting...but yet the waiting builds anticipation...so that by the time something's released there's a collective expression of joy that a much anticipated project is finally available. When it comes to something like "Gas", however, there wasn't any anticipation...the news of the song came out of the blue...and the week is dragging by...is it June 4th yet?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...