June 12, 2021

Ray Stevens: Fixing the Reverse Images...

Hello to all the fans of Ray Stevens!! If you regularly search for online images of Ray I'm sure you've come across reverse images a number of times. A reverse image, for those who don't know, is an image that is photographed and placed online in a reverse fashion. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the playing cards with pictures of country singers...a 1975 bearded image of Ray Stevens appeared in a pack of those playing cards and every time it comes up for sale on some online store they always show a reverse image. In the collage below the reverse image appears in panel one and the correct image of Ray Stevens appears in panel two. Ray has always parted his hair on the left side, as you see in the photo off to the left, and so whenever you see a photo of Ray with his hair parted from the right then you'll know it's a reverse image. The image with the solid blue background is from 1991. Someone posted a photo of the 1991 Music City News issue where Ray, Jimmy Dean, and Kathy Ballie were on the cover promoting an upcoming Songwriters Awards telecast. Yes, as you could guess, the seller uploaded a reverse image of the cover and so I decided to correct it. I don't know too much about the intricacies of computers to understand how images can get posted reverse...all I know is sometimes it happens and if you're not paying enough attention you won't notice right away.     


I've posted an image of the 1982 re-issue of the Turn Your Radio On album before. A reverse photo of Ray appears on that album. On the album it has Ray's hair parted on the wrong side and so I not only corrected the image but I enhanced it and did a close-up. I'm thinking the actual photo originated in 1979 or 1980. 

CBS Records re-issued the Turn Your Radio On album in 1982...a full ten years after Barnaby Records had released it. Barnaby's recordings were distributed by CBS in 1972 and so they re-issued the album with a different photo in 1982. I had always been drawn to the album cover because something about Ray, to me, looked different and it wasn't until it hit me that the photo of Ray is reversed and so when I corrected the image he looked correct. However, because the album title was also photographed in reverse it caused it to show up reversed when I corrected the image...which is why I did a close-up. If I didn't do a close-up you'd be seeing the name of the album written in reverse above the photo. Some may argue and say if I'm seeing the album title in reverse when I go and correct the image then the photo wasn't actually photographed in reverse...but the truth is it was. The explanation is that the lettering was photographed correctly while the photo of Ray shows up reversed. I've included a collage featuring the reverse image, correct lettering of the 1982 album side by side with the correct image, reverse lettering to visually explain what I'm trying to put into words. The reverse photo of Ray is seen in the first panel of the collage while the correct photo of Ray is seen in the second panel. As you can also see...once you correct the reverse photo the name and album title appear in reverse. Anyway...that reverse photo of Ray is what we see whenever the 1982 re-issue album shows up in online stores and auction sites. I don't know if the actual album features a reverse photo of Ray on the cover or if the image on the 1982 album is just something that appeared online in reverse years ago and it's never been corrected. Whatever the case, I fixed the reverse image of Ray and it's on display in the second photo in the collage below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...