June 23, 2021

Ray Stevens: The "Gas" Digital Single...

Good afternoon all you fans of Ray Stevens!! I rarely post a greeting like that because maybe you'll be reading this in the early morning several days or weeks from now or maybe in the evening or overnight...but regardless of when you're reading this fan created blog I hope you all continue to do so. It's been a week since I posted a blog entry spotlighting the current Ray Stevens novelty, "Gas". I'm sure many of you have heard the song by now so there's no need to hold in, or hold back, what the song is actually about. I wrote a review of the song several weeks ago when it was brand new...the song's only been available for a little more than 2 weeks...so why, for some out there, does it seem like it's been available for 2 months rather than 2 weeks? 


I've written about that kind of phenomena in the past...since we're living in the digital age and where immediacy is at one's command on a laptop or cell-phone it enables the newness of something to wear off at a much more rapid rate. If this were 20 or 30 years ago, for example, a song being available for 2 weeks it would still be considered brand new or "hot off the presses". Today, due to the internet, 2 weeks for some can seem like months ago...it's the downside to the fast paced nature of immediacy and a culture that wants things immediately...yet once they have something immediately they want more...and they want it immediately. "Gas" was issued as a digital single on June 4th...here we are on June 23rd...a few days shy of it being 3 weeks since "Gas" was, pardon the expression, released

** Week One: June 4th through June 11th
** Week Two: June 12th through June 19th
** Week Three: June 20th through June 27th

The audio track on YouTube has received 8,675 organic unique views as of this writing. The audio track isn't being promoted on Ray's social media and Curb Records isn't promoting it, either, so people are finding the song on their own. I've shared the audio track on social media but I don't claim to be responsible for the totality of it being discovered. Whatever publicity I'm able to generate for Ray Stevens through this fan created blog or through the social media sites I belong to is obviously going to be miniscule compared to the kind of publicity a major record label or a recording artist's publicity department can generate...but I'm happy to promote/publicize all things Ray Stevens for my own enjoyment and also for those who come by here for information about him. 

I've posted the audio track of "Gas" from YouTube a number of times...in the description it states that the audio was provided by Curb Records...and since the audio tracks of Ray's recordings are authorized by the record company I figure that sharing those audio tracks benefit the artist in some way. So many recording artists in Ray's generation have had zero support from radio...even what's called "mainstream" country music media rarely focus on legends...so the internet, specifically YouTube, is a way of getting their music to the masses when conventional/traditional methods of publicity and advertising isn't available. I wonder how many have purchased the "Gas" single or preferred to just listen to the audio track on YouTube? I purchased the single on Amazon the day it became available. It's in my Mp3 library over there...but I listen to the song primarily on YouTube. Some will call me stupid for purchasing a song that I can easily listen to for free on YouTube...well, I'm not stupid, I'm just old fashioned. I still like the quaint concept of purchasing music...it's still fun, for me, to buy the latest from my favorite recording artists. I still get excited buying new music when it becomes available. The "Gas" song is only available as a digital single...the photo that appears on the product page in the online music stores is only for publicity purposes. I don't know if that photo will appear on a CD copy of the single should one ever emerge or if it'll be used at some later date in a larger project from Ray.  

Have you visited the Curb Records store? They have a Ray Stevens page filled with albums that he either recorded for them or albums that he recorded for other labels but have since been purchased for distribution by Curb Records. Hum It, for example, was recorded by Ray for MCA Records in 1997 but Curb Records is now distributing that album. Ray's salute to Frank Sinatra is an album he recorded for his own label, Clyde Records, but Curb is distributing that album. Here We Go Again!, Ray's 2015 comedy album that was released on his own record label, is now being distributed by Curb Records. When you visit the Curb Records store you'll also find all of the digital albums he recorded for them this year and you'll see the digital single for "Gas". Those who want to purchase the single for your personal collections, directly from Curb Records, click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...