June 10, 2021

Ray Stevens: Vintage 1970s Photo...

It's me once again!! This vintage photo of Ray Stevens emerged on his social media about half an hour ago and I decided to share it on this blog. There wasn't any information about it...I made the assumption that it might be from the late 1970s. You can clearly see that Military design on the sleeve of the jacket...and from my eyes it appears there's a carnation or some sort of flower on the left side of the jacket. The floor shot angle of the photo gives the appearance of a thin beard...as if he's it's in the process of growing out fuller...so I assume it's from some point in 1978 or 1979...it could even be from some point in the latter half of 1977. There's a period in Ray's career where he stopped appearing clean shaven and I've often pin-pointed this to the year 1978. The earliest photo that I seen Ray with a beard was in the 1960s but it was a photo that wasn't meant for publicity but was more of a personal photo that Ray decided one day to share on his social media. You'd think I'd have that photo in my online collection but I don't. I can't find it on Ray's social media anymore and I saved it on a former computer I was on. I may look in more detail and see if I come across that 1960's photo of Ray with a beard. Anyway...the hairstyle had me thinking 1977/1978/1979 but the thin beard has me thinking late 1977/early 1978. However...Ray also had a beard for a number of years in the early '70s. On his guest appearances on Hee Haw in 1972 and in 1975 he had a beard. The beard was gone when he next appeared on the show in 1976. If that doesn't complicate matters there are photos of Ray from the early 1980s with a thinner beard than usual...but I'll go with my original assumption that the photo originated sometime in the late 1970s. There are a couple of photos from this performance in the Photo section of Ray's Facebook page. Take a look at this one...

As you can see in that awesome photo Ray Stevens is belting out one of his songs...it could be "Everything is Beautiful" or it could be any number of the love ballads he recorded during his years at Warner Brothers in the late 1970s. You can clearly see the flower in that photo which was partially hidden in the photo above. When looking through the various photo's over on Ray's Facebook page I'm reminded of several photos of Ray from this performance that have previously been shared...one photo shared in 2019 shows Ray looking very intense with his head tilted downward looking at the piano. I've posted that photo below to close out the blog entry. When Ray performed his 1979 novelty single, "I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow" he remained seated at the piano for the entire performance. The photo off to the right also had me thinking he may have been singing the chorus of that song when this photo was taken but he's probably in the middle of singing "Everything is Beautiful" as I previously mentioned. If you follow Ray's social media pages then you've seen these photos before...but, like myself, you may forget from time to time if you've seen a photo if it's not a constant presence. Do you have any guesses as to what he might be singing in the photo above? Here's that intense photo of Ray looking at the piano...completely captured by the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...