May 20, 2020

Ray Stevens: Me and the Cartoon Carnival...

As a kind of follow-up to a Ray Stevens blog entry I wrote 7 or 8 blog entries ago I'm here to spotlight a couple of DVD releases from 2008.

This is titled Cartoon Carnival, Volume One. The material is a retrospective of music videos from Ray Stevens that had animated elements in their production. Each volume contains 10 music videos. Ray had experimented with the production of live-action mixed with animation music videos in the early 2000s. The first experiment happened to be "Osama Yo' Mama" and then it's sequel, "Hello Mama". There were other music videos produced in that time frame and issued on a VHS called Cartoon Video Collection. A fully animated music video of "Power Tools" emerged and was placed on some editions of a DVD release titled Complete Comedy Video Collection along with the previously available "Hello Mama". Later on a pair of DVDs were released titled Gourmet Restaurant and Teenage Mutant Kung Fu Chickens. There were five animated music videos contained on each release. The ten animated music videos from those two DVDs combined with five music videos from Cartoon Video Collection, "Power Tools" from Complete Comedy Video Collection, plus four previously unreleased animated music videos add up to the 20 music videos spread out through each volume of Cartoon Carnival. If you break it down even further it means that each volume features 8 previously released music videos and 2 previously unreleased music videos for a total of 10 per volume (20 total). In Volume One, shown above, it contains the following music videos: "The Moonlight Special" (2008), "Gone For Good" (2003), "Along Came Jones" (2005), "Barbeque" (2005), "Smokey Mountain Rattlesnake Retreat" (2008), "The Ballad of Cactus Pete and Lefty" (2005), "Power Tools" (2004), "Can He Love You Half as Much as I?" (2005), "Deerslayer" (2003), and "Gourmet Restaurant" (2005).

In Cartoon Carnival, Volume Two we have 10 music videos and just like in volume one there's eight previously released and two previously unreleased. This particular volume consists of several music videos of some of his more widely known recordings. Also, keep in mind, that the year I'm supplying after the title of each music video is the year it was released as a music video...not the year it was originally produced and recorded in the studio. "Hugo the Human Cannonball" (2008), "Hang Up and Drive" (2003), "This Ain't Exactly What I Had In Mind" (2005), "Teenage Mutant Kung Fu Chickens" (2005), "Bridget the Midget the Queen of the Blues" (2003), "The Camping Trip" (2008), "Harry the Hairy Ape" (2005), "Erik the Awful" (2003), "Jeremiah Peabody's Green and Purple Pills" (2005), and "Misty" (2005). The Cartoon Carnival releases came along in 2008 and I purchased these just a couple of weeks ago. The Ray Stevens official on-line STORE is having a 20 percent off discount sale until May 31st and since these two DVD releases were the only things I didn't have in my personal collection (as far as DVD releases are concerned) I decided to buy them...even though the videos can be seen on YouTube. It's the collector in me that drove me to add them to my collection. The only items I still don't have are the T-shirts that you'll see advertised when you open the link I provided. Some people purchase T-shirts as souvenirs or purchase them just to have them. I can be an example of this kind of person given my collector instincts. The shirt size cuts off at XXL and, in my case, attempting to wear something in that size would provide a perfect visual in demonstrating what it means to 'cut off your circulation'. I've often debated whether to just buy an XXL just to have it, though. The shirt colors are blue and red...the imagery is identical. They both feature the photo of Ray from 1992's Comedy Video Classics with "Don't look, Ethel" written below his image in all caps. I have a couple of his T-shirts from several years ago...so it isn't like I don't have any Ray Stevens apparel in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...