May 25, 2020

Ray Stevens sings "Quarantined"...

Extra...extra!!! The premiere of the Ray Stevens music video has happened!! I've been sharing it on social media sites and I'm embedding it in this blog entry. The "Quarantined" music video premiered at 11:30am Eastern today. I was initially wondering if that meant Central or Eastern time. On my YouTube page I had a reminder put in place to alert me of the video going live. I should have known that the video would premiere at 11:30am Eastern...I have my YouTube settings programmed to the Eastern time zone...but in my excitement I forgot all about that. All of that means I unexpectedly caught the premiere of "Quarantined" an hour ahead of when I initially thought I'd get to see it. Earlier this month Ray appeared on Larry's Country Diner and I wrote a blog entry about it. In that blog entry I noted that his appearance wasn't promoted on any of his social media sites and I couldn't understand why. Well, happily now I know...it's because of an effort to minimize publicity so that there would be substantial impact once this video clip premiered today...



The video premiered more than an hour ago and it's already been viewed more than a thousand times. As I type this the unique view count is 2,851 on YouTube. His Facebook post has the video with over 3,000 likes, over 4,000 shares, and over 200 comments so far. Later on today I'll be looking in at the numbers to see where they stand. This being Memorial Day there's a chance a lot of people are away from the internet doing whatever...so they'll see the video clip later. The hyper-serious mood that's taken over much of the national conversation due to the Coronavirus has meant that light moments and comedy, for some, seems inappropriate and unwelcome. However, "Quarantined", in my opinion, goes right along with a large segment of the public as it points out the annoyances and aggravations in coping with COVID-19...more specifically people coping with the policies enacted in local, State, and Federal Government as a result of the pandemic. The song briefly touches on the hoarding habit that caused the shopping stores to ration certain products (limiting the purchase of specific items). The song doesn't single out any political party...it simply states a sentiment that a lot of people can relate to.

Ray Stevens; 2020
As of now I don't know if "Quarantined" will be part of any future Ray Stevens project. It was on Larry's Country Diner where Ray revealed the name of a box set he'll be releasing...but I don't know if this song will be part of that collection. This song may only exist, for now, in video format on the internet. The song comes from the pen of Buddy Kalb. As I've mentioned in other blog entries this year the COVID-19 pandemic upended life as we know it...disrupted the entertainment industry entirely...the economic loss is massive. If there wasn't a pandemic there wouldn't be this new song from Ray Stevens...but yet if there wasn't a pandemic his CabaRay showroom would've been in it's third month of concerts and there's no telling what would be going on in his career as far as music releases are concerned if not for the pandemic. If you recall he was to have taken part in a fundraiser for WCTE television which was canceled/postponed. Tennessee was ravaged by a tornado just prior to the COVID-19 policies taking over the country and one of Ray's efforts at raising money for relief was going to be the concert proceeds at the CabaRay...but the pandemic changed those plans. This pandemic has created loss of life, loss of jobs, economic devastation, and all kinds of turmoil we'll probably never know about...but it's okay to laugh and smile...exactly the sort of thing "Quarantined" from Ray Stevens will make you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...