May 16, 2020

Ray Stevens: My vinyl Single Collection...

As a companion blog entry to my most recent blog series called Singling Out I decided to make a list of the vinyl singles of Ray Stevens that I have in my personal collection. As I've made note of in previous blog entries I don't have an enormous amount of his vinyl singles. This list may look surprising considering there aren't too many vinyl singles in my collection that became signature songs in his career. A simple answer for that being most of these singles I purchased on-line more than 10 years ago and as you could imagine the on-line auction sites always price the most notable single releases much higher...so, as a result, I don't have vinyl singles of a number of songs that are among his most notable. Now, having said that, I don't necessarily think I need to have specific recordings in my vinyl single collection to show how much of a fan I am. I more than make up for it with my collection of Ray Stevens vinyl albums, cassettes, and CDs.

1963: Speed Ball / It's Party Time
1964: Bubble Gum the Bubble Dancer / Laughing Over My Grave
1968: Mr. Businessman / Face the Music
1968: Funny Man / Just One of Life's Little Tragedies*^^*
1970: America, Communicate With Me / Monkey See, Monkey Do
1973: Love Me Longer / Float
1973: Mr. Businessman / Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down**
1974: Everybody Needs a Rainbow / Inside
1975: Young Love / Deep Purple
1976: You Are So Beautiful / One Man Band
1977: Dixie Hummingbird / Feel the Music
1978: Be Your Own Best Friend / With a Smile
1979: I Need Your Help, Barry Manilow / Daydream Romance***
1980: Shriner's Convention (Short Version) / Shriner's Convention (Long Version)
1981: Gitarzan / Everything is Beautiful*
1981: Night Games / Let's Do it Right This Time
1982: Where The Sun Don't Shine / Why Don't We Go Somewhere and Make Love
1983: Piece of Paradise Called Tennessee / Mary Lou Nights
1983: Love Will Beat Your Brains Out / Game Show Love
1983: My Dad / Me
1985: The Haircut Song / Punk Country Love
1987: Would Jesus Wear a Rolex / Cool Down, Willard
1989: I Saw Elvis in a U.F.O. / I Used To Be Crazy

*- This 1981 single was issued by RCA Records as part of their Gold Standard Series. Ray, being on RCA at the time, seen several of his older recordings re-issued on vinyl by RCA. I happen to own one of those.

**- Barnaby Records purchased Ray's recordings for Monument Records in the early '70s. As a result of this purchase Barnaby would often re-issue Ray's Monument recordings as if they had been released on Barnaby...complete with a Barnaby Records logo and catalog number, etc. I have one of those re-issues in my collection.

*^^*- Mercury Records, in 1968, re-issued Ray's 1963 single. The 1968 re-issue has a different catalog number as well. Both the A and B side are recordings from 1963.

***- This 1979 single was released, originally, with a picture sleeve. I don't have a picture sleeve accompanying my copy of the single. It's my guess that the picture sleeve became something of an exclusive and therefore any re-issues of the single by Warner Brothers were in plain paper sleeves and that's why I don't have a picture sleeve for this particular single. I've seen the single and it's picture sleeve come up for sale on-line, though, but I've never made a purchase. My reasoning is: I already have the vinyl single...do I want to buy an extra copy of the single just for the picture sleeve? The collector in me says "yes!" but then I talk myself out of it because I already have a copy of the single (minus a picture sleeve). Someday I may purchase a copy of the single with it's picture sleeve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...