May 29, 2020

Ray Stevens: "Quarantined" pushes beyond 200,000 unique views...

Hello once again!! "Quarantined", the COVID-19 video from Ray Stevens, has crossed the 200,000 unique view plateau. The view count as of this writing is 217,816. In an earlier blog entry I posted the view count nearing 200,000 with a total of 160,001 at that point in time. This is a pick-up of 57,815 additional unique views...again, bringing the total as of this writing to 217,816.



I came across a website for a radio station in Wyoming called KOWB while doing a Google news search for Ray Stevens and on their site they have a brief article about "Quarantined" and they included a video of it. The article wasn't particularly a hit piece against Ray but the commentary featured a remark that I feel blanketed everyone that knows of Ray Stevens of being well over 50. I'm including a link to their article so you all can read it for yourselves...you can view it by clicking HERE. I'm sure it's simply a flippant remark in their view but more importantly it's an unnecessary remark that borders, perhaps, on ageism if someone should interpret it as such. The remark comes at the very end of the article. I left a comment over on their page and I copied it. I refreshed my browser and revisited their site and seen that the comment wasn't posted there, yet, so I'm posting it here just in case it gets lost mysteriously in cyber-space:

"Well, actually, Ray's career goes farther back than 1974's "The Streak". It goes back to the late 1950s. He had a series of novelty and ballad releases throughout the '60s. One of those singles, 1969's "Gitarzan", received a Gold record for a million copies sold. A 1970 release, "Everything is Beautiful", was also a Gold record and a Grammy winner. Anyway, I appreciate the article giving some publicity to Ray's new song. I do think some of the personal commentary was a bit blunt, though, at least that's how it came across to me.".

The beginning of the article in the link I provided suggests that Ray's career began with "The Streak" in 1974 so that's why I began my comment with a line like that. If you've ever looked off to the right hand side of this blog page and underneath my photo you'll see my reasons for creating this fan created blog in 2008. It was to celebrate the career and music of Ray Stevens, certainly, but it was also to include information that was accurate. I was tired of the lack of accurate information about Ray Stevens that populated the internet in 2008 and it still persists 12 years later. So, if I come across any inaccuracies, I point it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...