May 16, 2020

Ray Stevens: Singling Out Game Show Love...

Me and Ray Stevens single; 1983
Well, in this second blog entry of the Singling Out series, I'm taking a look at the vinyl single from Ray Stevens released in 1983. The A-side of the single is "Love Will Beat Your Brains Out" and contrary to what you might think prior to hearing it's not a novelty song. In the image off to the left it's the A-side, from the pen of Ray Stevens, and it's the lead-off track on his 1983 Mercury album, Me. The song is a love ballad...but it contains an uptempo sing-a-long chorus...as it tells the story of a man who has reached the end of his patience after one too many failed attempts with relationships gone wrong. Ray sings from the point of view of a man that's had enough and has come to the conclusion that it's not worth the pain and agony...and therefore he feels that "Love Will Beat Your Brains Out". Now, of course, the song's title itself is eye catching but for some it's either one of the funniest song titles they've ever heard or it's one of the worst song titles of all-time. Obviously I consider it one of the funniest song titles...and unlike a lot of people I've actually heard the song to know it's a serious love ballad in spite of it's title. Some of the inaccuracies that occur on the internet, frequently, are from those that make assumptions about recordings by Ray Stevens given his reputation for comedy...often time assuming that a recording from Ray 'must be funny'. In the opinion of some people it's a travesty whenever Ray sings something serious.

Me and Game Show Love; 1983
The single's B-side is also from the pen of Ray Stevens and it's called "Game Show Love". In the late '90s when I was a member of the since closed Ray Stevens FFFOL fan club one of the things I received in the mail was a discography. It listed almost all of the studio and compilation albums in Ray's career to date including the song titles on all the albums. The 1983 Me album had some of the more bizarre/unusual song titles...in addition to "Love Will Beat Your Brains Out" there's a song on that album called "Mary Lou Nights" as well as "Special Anniversary" and then there's "Game Show Love", the B-side of "Love Will Beat Your Brains Out". I know these images are small and perhaps barely visible but if I were to post them in in a larger size my text would be pushed well off to the side of the photo and appear disoriented and have a jumbled together look...which I don't like...so that's why I'm posting these web-camera images smaller. "Game Show Love" became an immediate favorite because I have a long history of being a game show watcher. I don't watch them hardly at all anymore...I've seen them enough (classic games once found in abundance on Game Show Network). However, pertaining to the game shows I once watched, I still know the game play, panelists, and hosts from those shows and because of that I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable of classic game shows in general. The song cleverly uses the names of game shows and their catchphrases to tell the story of a woman that strings a man along in their relationship...leaving him to realize that love to her is just a game and she's not to be taken seriously.

I named this blog entry after the B-side of "Love Will Beat Your Brains Out" and I did this because "Game Show Love" is a shorter title and therefor it wouldn't clutter up the blog's title with so many words. "Game Show Love" isn't a novelty song...the clever use of game show titles and catchphrases may cause some to consider it a novelty or something off-the-wall but actually it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...