July 24, 2021

Ray Stevens: I ordered my copy of "Iconic Songs of the 20th Century"...

Hello all you fans of Ray Stevens!! Well, we're here the day after the Iconic Songs of the 20th Century 4-CD box set was released. I was looking on the Curb Records webpage yesterday and while they have a product page for the box set and the link to stream/purchase/download the collection I was surprised to see that they don't have the song titles listed for three of the four compact discs. As of this writing if you visit the Curb Records store at their webpage and search for Ray Stevens you'll see the products that they're selling...and the most recent product will be the Iconic Songs of the 20th Century. If you click for more details the product page opens and you'll see the song titles listed for the first compact disc in the 4-CD box set, Great Country Ballads, but the other three compact discs in the collection don't have their song titles listed on the product page. I have no idea if they're even aware of the error on their product page or not. So, I sent a message to them but given it's a record company which probably gets thousands of messages daily I'll be surprised if my message gets responded to. I'll periodically check the Curb Records site and see if they've corrected the box set's product page. In the meantime...


As most of you that stop by here know I've placed my order for Iconic Songs of the 20th Century already. I ordered it on Ray's webstore early yesterday morning. You can order the 4-CD box set when you click HERE.

Traditionally, record companies release new music on a Tuesday but with Ray they released his four digital albums and now this 4-CD box set on a day at the end of the week...the albums released on Ray this year have all been on a Friday: Great Country Ballads hit online stores on 2/26/21. Melancholy Fescue hit online stores on 3/24/21. Slow Dance hit online stores on 4/23/21. Nouveau Retro hit online stores on 5/21/21 and Iconic Songs of the 20th Century was released online on 7/23/21. In between Nouveau Retro and Iconic Songs of the 20th Century there was the release of the online novelty single, "Gas", on 6/4/21 and you guessed it...June 4th happened to be a Friday! I don't know if the Friday release days is a decision by Curb Records or by Ray. The Friday release days are something I found interesting. 

In the meantime, how do you like that particular image of the 4-CD box set?? It's one of the images appearing in Ray's webstore on the product page for the box set. It shows how the box set will look if it's sitting upright...with the 4 compact discs slid inside. There are a couple of other images of the box set at Ray's webstore including what the actual discs look like. Something I noticed is Ray is credited on each of the discs as the record producer but it doesn't feature the familiar credit of Produced and Arranged by Ray Stevens. It's been common knowledge among us Ray Stevens fans that Ray is his own music arranger so whenever I don't see the familiar Produced and Arranged by Ray Stevens credit I take notice. I haven't seen the back of the box set and since I don't have the box set with me, yet, I haven't been able to analyze it. I'm pretty confident that Ray, even with an omitted music arranger credit on the discs, that he was indeed the music arranger on all 48 songs on the 4-CD box set. I can't wait to get Iconic Songs of the 20th Century in the mail!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...