October 31, 2021

Ray Stevens: T. Graham Brown CabaRay Nashville performance...

Hello all the fans of Ray Stevens once again!! Yesterday was the birthday of T. Graham Brown...he reaches 66. If you're not familiar with him he was what you might consider a country/blues-soul/rocker kind of singer. He had his share of love ballads but the thing that audiences loved more, based upon their reaction, was his soulful, bluesy performances where he'd ratchet up the sound of the music as well as the sound of his voice. You will hear what I'm referring to if you're not familiar with him. 

The song that introduced me to him was "With This Ring" and come to find out it wasn't even one of his bigger hits. By the time I discovered him on the radio he'd already had a 5 year run of Top-10 and number one hits that I'd never heard before. I had limited listening of radio back then (as a kid and teenager) and I wasn't completely aware of everybody making records within country music outside of who my parent's listened to. My grandfather is the one who got me hooked on Ray Stevens songs and my parents had songs from other country singers on the vinyl albums in their collection...but my parents rarely listened to the radio unless we were all in a car going somewhere. 

My parents, obviously, controlled the radio dial in our car and if a song came on that they knew they didn't like or one that they weren't familiar with, as far as the singer goes, they'd change the station. So, chances are, T. Graham Brown may not have been someone my parent's were familiar with and so whenever a song of his came on they must've changed the station rather than listen...as far as I know that explains why I had never heard of him until I seen him sing "With This Ring" on a television show in the early 1990s...5 or so years after he put out his first album. 

On this CabaRay Nashville appearance T. Graham performs "Wine Into Water". It's a song about an alcoholic who speaks to God and asks a powerful question of him. The song was a much bigger hit than any weekly music chart would suggest. Once a song connects with people, regardless of how commercially popular or unpopular the song may be, the impact can be monumental sometimes and people will remember or recall a song or a singer forever based on impact. The fact is T. Graham Brown had numerous hits yet 1998's "Wine Into Water" became his most popular for the sheer impact it has with people who hear it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...