October 6, 2021

Ray Stevens: Two Days until New Comedy Album...

Hello Ray Stevens fans!! Two days to go until the upcoming comedy album is officially released! It's still available for autograph Pre-order at Ray's website. This offer goes until October 8th. You can Pre-order your autograph copy by clicking HERE. I wanted to get a little bit of frustration off my chest here at the beginning of the blog entry so I won't need to bring it up later. A couple of things, actually. I don't know if you feel the way I do but I'm tired of people trolling Ray's social media and posting spam content using his name or having usernames associated with Ray's name. Time and time again I'll be reading the comment section of his social media posts and I'll inevitably see posts from people with usernames that are so laughingly fake and spam-sounding. Another frustration is the snobbish attitude that exists from people who've decided to declare themselves the arbiter of talent and comedy. I came across an ignorant fool which is what I'll call him since I never use cuss words online. Anyway, this ignorant fool had copied and pasted a recent overview of Ray's upcoming comedy album that was posted on one of the websites promoting the release and ignorantly proclaimed that the album is "unfunny and painful". It's aggravating when people who clearly have no interest in his music and obviously aren't going to purchase or listen to his songs feel the need to play music critic as if Ray exists to please only their listening pleasure. You get that kind of thing a lot if you read music critic commentary...it's always about how the critic felt while listening to something and it's never about whether the critic thinks the audience that the song or the album is targeting is going to love it. It's just one of the reasons why I've often described myself as an enthusiast rather than a critic.  

I was listening to the album last night and was picking up on a lot of things I unintentionally overlooked when I initially was listening to it. Once the album is available online and I can download it...rather than pull out the CD player each and every time I want to hear the songs...but once I get the songs on my computer when I purchase the digital download on Amazon Friday (my laptop doesn't have a disc tray) I'll be able to play the songs a lot simpler, quicker, and with frequency. "Hoochie Coochie Dancer" is the soon to be released music video...the third track, "Gas", had already been issued as an audio track on YouTube as well as on Amazon. It was promoted as the first single from the upcoming comedy album. 

The album, Ain't Nothin' Funny Anymore, seen above, also features "The Quarantine Song" and "Red Hot Chili Cook Off"...two songs that were previously released as music videos. So, when the comedy album hits this Friday, those three songs will have already been available with "Hoochie Coochie Dancer" being the next release. This upcoming music video, which hasn't been released yet, is what I'm thinking is suppose to be the main selling point for the album. I had been thinking they would release the music video several days before the album but it looks like they're probably going to release both the music video and the album on the same day...and have each cross-promote the other...but then again he could wait and release the music video several days after the comedy album is released. We'll ultimately find out what's going to take place as the week moves on and we reach Friday October 8th. Once the album is released I'll be posting embeds of audio tracks. 

Curb Records, I'm assuming, will put the audio tracks onto YouTube. Once this happens I'll be sharing some of the songs on future blog entries. I can't wait to write a blog entry on "Soap Sally", one of the songs on the album! "Dis-Connected" is a song that I hope becomes pushed as a single. Ray name dropped "Coco Cabana Band" as one of his favorites and so he probably will promote that song as a follow-up to "Hoochie Coochie Dancer". In my opinion all of the songs are great but like anything else from Ray Stevens, as fans, we usually begin to split hairs and begin to differentiate between the really great and the great. The great being: "Coco Cabana Band", "My Better Half", "Down in Mexico", "Gas", "Moonshine", "The Quarantine Song", and "Red Hot Chili Cook Off". That leaves the other seven recordings in the really great category: "Hoochie Coochie Dancer", "Dis-Connected", "Disorder Down at the Border", "Ain't Nothin' Funny Anymore", "The Gambler and The Octopus", "Soap Sally", and "Old Dog". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show your appreciation for the music of Ray Stevens...leave a comment...